Site Network: MyFriendster | MyFlickr | MyFacebook | MyWebshots

 





Earthquake Kills More Than 80 In Sumatra


It's Real! My personal Experience!

March 6, 2007 - It was a sunny morning. What a great start for a day. I was having sleepless night trying my best to memorize and revise for my morning test around 11.00am. I would never expect this will be the end for 80 people in Sumatra.

I was in the midst of the test, 4th floor in faculty when suddenly I felt my body shaking. Am I shivering? I can feel myself vibrating. Or anyone shaking my chair? I started looking around. To the left, right and behind.. No one near to my chair, everyone is sitting very still, focusing seriously on their papers, making sure they answer every single question correctly.

Am I the only one who felt it? I started to get dizzy. Most probably I was too tired. It might be the consequence of waking up early 3am to revise. "Time is up!" lecturer shouted. We completed our test around 12pm. Everyone rushed out from class. We started discussing about the test. That little incident struck my mind again. "Do you guys feel the quake just now?" I asked. "Nope.." one of my friend answered. Then, out of nowhere, the other friend answered, "I felt it too. I thought it was just my imagination. I can see the OHP desk shaking." Everyone started to become very curious. "Gosh! An earthquake in UTM (our university)" one of my course mate shouted.

It must be happening somewhere. I headed to my car and out for lunch. As usual, I'll tune in to 938 live radio station. I was driving when the headline news started. "30minutes ago, an earthquake measuring 6.3 magnitude triggers in Sumatra. Buildings around Singapore such as in Clementi, Ngee Ann Polytechnic were affected by the quake too. People in the building were evacuated although no alarm was triggered"

"We are working in our office when suddenly we felt the quake. Our computers are shaking. One of my colleague cried due to the previous experience she had gone through. Everyone of us ran out of the office. "

I was stunned. So, this is really happening. This is true. Almost speechless for a few seconds. I started calling my family and friends informing them about the quake. I wonder how serious is it? Another disaster for Indonesians...




Well, as expected, it came out in the Headline News today. "Earthquake Kills More Than 80 In Sumatra". A 6.0 magnitude earthquake struck west Sumatra area yesterday, two hours after a 6.3 quake hit the same area which was felt in Singapore and Malaysia.



The Real Condition in Sumatra

Buildings flattened, scores buried in rubble, hundreds injured. Panic in Malaysia and Singapore...

Communication was cut off from much of the area close to the epicentre of the 6.3-magnitude quake, so there was no immediate way of knowing the extent of the damage there, they said.

The 6.3 magnitude quake struck at 10.49am, the US Geological Survey said, 49km northeast of Padang. An almost equally strong aftershock hit later. Tanah Dtar, Solok and Padang were among the worst-hit areas in Sumatra. Cars and bikes fill nearby roads as people rushed for higher ground, fearing a tsunami, not realising the quake was underground.

The quake also shook skyscrapers in nearby Singapore, sending people fleeing to the streets.



Why Indonesia again?

Indonesia was the nation worst hit by the earthquake-triggered Indian Ocean tsunami in December 2004, which killed some 168,000 people in Aceh province on the northern tip of Sumatra. Some 5,800 people were killed and 33,000 others injured in a massive quake that rocked Java island in May last year. Two months later, another quake on Java killed more than 600.


Why is this happening to Indonesia? This is because Indonesia is an archipelago nation of some 17,000 islands which sits on the so-called Pacific Ring of Fire, where continental plates meet- and where earthquakes are regular and often deadly occurrence.



Quakes in Malaysia and Singapore

Several areas in Selangor, Malacca and Johor experienced tremors after the earthquake. It led to panicked workers and residents of high-rise apartments fleeing their offices and homes. The Meteorological Service Department said the 11.49am moderate earthquake, which happened 65km southwest of Padang and 372km southwest of Malacca, did not pose any tsunami threat.

"Many rushed down, some even with their luggage."
"I thought I was just feeling giddy. But when it occured again at 2pm, I knew something was wrong. My mother also felt the tremor"
"I suspected it was an earthquake after my table started shaking and a vase on top of it moved"
"It did not last long... only six seconds"


Johor Baru: Among affected buildings were Johor Bahru City Square, Plaza Pelangi, Landmark Mall, Wisma Tabung Haji, Wisma Persekutuan and Public Bank Tower.

Singapore: Tall buildings in Singapore's business district swayed slightly, occupants said, and the tremor was also felt in other parts of the island.



I Digg! I I

Labels: , , , ,

posted by Jason @ 10:54 AM,

1 Comments:

At June 16, 2013 at 6:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't have put it better myself

Also visit my homepage :: link

 

Post a Comment

<< Home